Author Topic: soudproofing wall and door  (Read 4487 times)


  • Guest
soudproofing wall and door
« on: August 15, 2003, 05:24:16 AM »
Help. I live in an old apartment building that for some strange reason has a connecting door between my bedroom and my neighboor's bedroom. The door is an interior hollow door that is sealed shut (by paint I think) so that no light can be seen through the crack at the bottom. However noise goes right through it. The door frame, hinges, and useless knob are on my side of the wall so I can't drywall over it. The wall is also very thin. What can I do that doesn't involve major construction? It is a rental apartment and I don't want to lose my deposit. Is this something my landlord should take care of? I have already invested in earplugs, so that won't solve it.


  • Guest
Re: Soudproofing wall and door
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2003, 08:39:46 PM »

This is definitely something your Landlord can handle. The first order of business would be to change out that hollow core door for a solid core one. It is futile to try and soundproof a hollow door.
You may also have have the Landlord layer over the door with Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV)  (the solid core door only) and then simply drywall the door in. I think that would solve the majority of noise transmission problems through the door.
As far as soundproofing the walls that would involve the use of the same (MLV) that would be stapled to your walls, the seams and perimeter would be caulked with acoustical caulk, and finally you would sandwich in the vinyl with a layer of 5/8" fire code drywall. That should do the trick on the walls. See the links below. Thanks for the post Gonzalo.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
Orders only (888) 942-7723
When Peace of Mind is all that Matters!