Author Topic: soundproofing a basemant jam room  (Read 2943 times)

steven

soundproofing a basemant jam room
« on: August 23, 2003, 04:42:22 PM »
the main section of the room is 15ft by 10.5 ft.

two of the walls are against the blocks and underground. these walls are framed and insulated.  they are not sheetrocked and have just wood paneling nailed to the studs. one of these walls has a small window near the ceiling.  

the 3rd wall is in the house is framed,insulated,paneled and sheetrock is on the other side of the wall in the boiler room.  this wall has an ac/heating vent 1 foot off the floor.

wall #4 is the tricky one as it has two closets and the door entering the room. the ceilings of the closets and above the door are appox. 6 + feet. the closets and built out overhang above the door and closets comes out 24 inches.  

i have removed the acoustic tiles (tongue and groove) from the ceiling and the exposed joists are 7 ft from the floor.

materials that i have purchased:

2   4'x30' rolls of mlv for ceiling,window and vent plugs and door

2   5'x50' rolls of 1 inch closed cell foam

18   4' x 8'  sheets of 1/2 inch homostat

18   4' x 8' sheets of 5/8 inch sheetrock

enough resilient channels for ceiling and 1 wall

10 tubes of caulk

1 inch and 1 5/8 inch rock screws

i planned on leaving the wood paneling on the walls and going right over it with homostat and sheetrock and new wood paneling on the top. and then closed cell foam.

i planed on a resilient channel, homostat,mlv,floam,sheetrock, foam sandwich for the ceiling.  this would make the height of the room appox. 6ft 9 inches.

can you give me the best plan for assembling this room.  how about the window and ac vent plug construction?

what should i work on first?