Recent Posts

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »
I have a specific case where my sound system is setup in the basement of my house.

Two floors up are the bedrooms. My subwoofer gets up to the top floor. I'm on a concrete floor, with a nice thick carpet.
I just want to reduce some of the sound getting upstairs.

My sub is under my large desk (cheep door laid across two filing cabinets). I just want to a realatively inexpensive way to reduce some of the low-frequency sound getting upstairs without taking out my walls.

Is there any way I can utilize the concrete floor to my advantage? Would putting thick sound proofing foam padding in between the sub and the wall help at all?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Hello!
Condo, small room.  All walls and ceiling are adjacent to my own rooms.
Floor is above a quiet neighbor and I am trying to protect her from my new piano.
It was a big expensive undertaking and now we discover that it has failed. :( :( :( :( :( :(

Steps already taken:
1. Hardwood floor ripped out.  12mm Ecore underlayment installed, with Bostik sound-deadening glue above and below it.  New hardwood floor on top.
2. 8x10 rug covering majority of room, with thick memory-foam rug pad.
3. Piano placed on caster cups designed to isolate vibrations from floor.

After all this expensive work was done, We tested it again.  The sound of the piano is still very present in the downstair's neighbor's room.  I am absolutely dejected.

Voices did not transmit, and or course the lower tones transmitted most of all.

So this brings me to my present question:

There is a large window seat right next to the low end of the piano, which was not addressed.  Soundproofing expert returned and said that the window seat cavity may be hollow.  He recommended that I open it up, fill it with a couple layers of mineral wool, and re-install that flooring.

Will this work?

It's so discouraging to have all this expensive work done, and to wait the many months for it to get done, and then to have it seem to make almost no difference. 

Attached is a photograph from the side of the window seat, whose top is about 18"x74".

I earnestly seek your advice, and I thank you in advance for your consideration.

Soundproofing Windows and Doors / Re: How to seal two acrylic sheets together?
« Last post by kevinr on September 23, 2017, 10:34:54 PM »
I actually have the same question for another window, where I have two 10mm / 3/8"  acrylic sheets but they are in line.

I have to use two sheets because the window is too large, and I want to make the lower sheet a manageable size for removal.

So I plan to mount the top sheet permanently, then fit the removable lower sheet under it. Would a magnetic strip each attached to the adjoining parts of each face give an airtight fit?

Soundproofing Windows and Doors / How to seal two acrylic sheets together?
« Last post by kevinr on September 23, 2017, 12:50:38 AM »
Hi all,

I have a dormer-style window - two panes, one at an angle above the other  Inside I'll be using 10mm acrylic, and the edges will be cut at 90 degrees - they won't be mitered.

What can I use to get an airtight seal at the point the two sheets meet?
there is some value lost with a triple leaf system. this is why they tell you to remove the existing layer..
The key here is when you build the new frame and insulate both you need to load the new frame with as much mass as you can.

Randy S.
Blocking or reducing outside noise is based on a few factors.

1) line of sight must be eliminated. if you can see it you can hear it.
2) diffracted path and shadow zone dictate potential reduction. if your fence is to short the shadow zone is not of value...so based on distance from source to property line are good indicators of how high the fence needs to be. Which in some cases is not possible.
3) Mass, mass, mass, do not be fooled on this one...the heavier the wall / fence the better value so in most cases using conventional materials work just fine...ie cinder block , cement board..etc.. using Mass loaded vinyl on an existing fence is what some do but do not expect huge reductions this normally just takes the edge off of an annoying source.

and most important NO GAPS.

Randy S.

No they are not going to achieve the value in low frequency, you need mass, large air gap 3"+ and more mass.

Randy S.
Not that I am aware of, this question would be best suited for a window manufacturer.

Sorry for the delayed response.

Randy S.

Hi

Do metal roll shutters with polyfoam insulation  do anything to attenuate low frequency sounds like trucks, bass, buses, etc?

It would add some mass but I read in the forums the metal shutters do very little for sound.

Online most sites tout sound blocking ability but an australian site states it does little for low frequency.

Thoughts?

Thanks

I have benefited from your information a lot.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »