Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Soundproofing Forum Topics => Building a Sound Control room and a place for My Band to practice in! => Topic started by: alexander on April 17, 2006, 10:33:47 AM

Title: bands and house rental
Post by: alexander on April 17, 2006, 10:33:47 AM
I've seen a few complaints of people being outlandish about wants, so if this acheives the same ends, don't be afraid to say it.

Basically, I'm renting out a house with a somewhat large yard and have weekly band practices (with drums, guitar, etc.). I would rather not construct the two-wall system that most of the guides I've read have prescribed, because it seems like a pain to take out once the year lease is up. Is it possible to somehow isolate noise atleast to the extent that the neighbors/pedestrians will not be able to hear? The house is older and the room is somewhat small. It has two windows and two doors to it.

I'd like to see the cost be somewhat low, but I'm willing to spend $1k or more, especially if the set up could be moved to future properties.
Title: Re: bands and house rental
Post by: johnbergstromslc on April 18, 2006, 02:55:43 AM

Soundproofing is always iffy with an old house.  

My first thought is that you could make a 'room in a room' with modular walls and ceiling, the same way they build booths for trade shows.  Instead of framing up the entire wall, construct 4 foot sections that can be bolted together.  The ceiling will need longer panels, but same principle applies.

However, trade show booths are made from 1 X 4's, and 1/4" plywood.  Your system would be a LOT heavier, with the 2 X 4's and drywall.  And you might have trouble getting the things out the narrow doors when it's time to move out.

I think if you want to have any reasonable chance of isolation, you should double up the drywall on the walls and ceiling (check with the landlord first and tell him you're paying for it and will finish it up nice), make some heavy, removable window plugs, and seal the door leading to the room with weatherstrip and a sweep.  

You're not going to get perfect soundproofing, but you only need enough so that your neighbors don't get pissed off.  And you could easily do all of it for far less than $1000, if you do the work yourself, that is.

Check out these pages:
Title: Re: bands and house rental
Post by: joel on August 26, 2006, 07:05:04 PM
Hi alexander,

Peggy in Washington state just did a really creative thing to solve a band practice (really loud) in a garage situation.  She used 4.5' wide, 1/8" thick, 1Lb/sq ft, MLV with (and here is where it gets creative) 24" wide bonded cotton insulation glued to the face of the MLV.  She then had 4'wide coverage of the bonded cotton insulation (she used the R13x24"x94" strips) on the face of the MLV - leaving a 6" MLV only at the side and a 2" space at the top.  She put grommets along the top (4.5') edge of the MLV so she could hang the completed strips (overlapped on the 6" MLV) as a continuous absorber barrier on all walls and across the garage doors.  She cut the MLV strips at a length that would hang from ceiling height and then lap onto the floor about 4-6" to insure total coverage with no sound leaks at the bottom.  To cover all walls (including the wall with the garage door) in a 10'x23'6"x8' garage she only spent around $1,000 delivered cost for the MLV (the 4.5' wide MLV was on sale for special 25' long rolls!).

Try it - you'll like it!

For info on the bonded cotton insulation (1.15 NRC & 20+ STC) see

And for info on MLV see     Joel
Title: Re: bands and house rental
Post by: Rando on January 11, 2007, 08:57:58 PM
Re: John's response about building a modular room...I am thinking about that very idea and could use some advice.  I'd like to build an 7'x8'  "cube" that has soundproofing all around.  I'm getting a new drum set and want enough room for myself and a guitarist to jam.  I've priced it "their" way and it's much too high. 
Title: Re: bands and house rental
Post by: johnbergstromslc on January 12, 2007, 01:33:01 AM
For your cube to be effective, it needs to be completely enclosed, with 4 walls, ceiling and a door with good seals.  This will make ventilation, uh, lets say, a challenge.  If you have and basic construction skills (esp. framing) you don't need much advice from me - just get some studs, drywall (plus mud & tape), insulation, caulking and go for it.  Build yourself a mini room. 
If you've never done framing before, get yourself a book.  Any book on basic carpentry will do.

Good luck and godspeed.
Title: Re: bands and house rental
Post by: Rando on January 13, 2007, 02:13:19 AM
Thanks, John.  You've given a lot of great advice on this site.  I've got three buddies in carpentry so the framing isn't an issue.  However, none of us have experience with soundproofing.  Would, say, a 5/8" drywall exterior, insulation, particle board interior, and perhaps some interior foam padding suffice?  I don't need it totally proofed, but I need it deadened enough not to disturb the neighbors in our duplex.  If this would work, it'd be within my budget and an excellent reason to go buy a new set of drums and crank up the amp!  Thanks in advance for your help.
Title: Re: bands and house rental
Post by: johnbergstromslc on January 13, 2007, 02:50:11 AM
Since you used the words, "crank up the amp", I'm no longer sure my advice is gonna do you any good.  I think you have an unrealistic view of what can be accomplished on a limited budget in a rental property. 

Unless you live in a concrete bunker or have some serious money to do some serious soundproofing, you're not gonna drown out the noise of amplified instruments or drums.  Just too damn loud. 

Not to be a killjoy, but your ambitions might have to wait until you have your own house and can put the practice room in the basement and get some serious walls around your noise.  Otherwise, you're gonna bother people (and maybe risk eviction).   

Good advice, John.

BJ Nash
Title: Re: bands and house rental
Post by: Rando on January 14, 2007, 05:23:55 AM
Thanks, John...good advice.  I was using the amp-cranking term figuratively as I only have a little Peavey.  More worried about the noise from the kit.  I just want a quiet space to record in with my little 4-track Tascam.
Title: Re: bands and house rental
Post by: joel on January 15, 2007, 11:07:08 PM
hello Rando,

Some of our musician customers have used the MLV with open cell foam for temporary soundproofing.  It is available in rolls that are 4.5'x30' (135sq ft) for $258.90/roll.  You can drape it against the wall with the open cell foam side out and MLV side against the wall/ceiling.  The material is 1/8" MLV with 1/4" open cell foam (3/8 thick overall) and weighs a little over 1.15 lbs/sq. ft. so you will probably need to use 1"x2" wood strips at the top to "clamp" it in place - screw through the "clamp" strips to walls/ceiling.  The open cell foam absorbs reverberant echo and the MLV blocks sound from going through.  For info see 1st product we sell at

Title: Re: bands and house rental
Post by: alessio on July 08, 2007, 08:39:12 PM
Hello guys. I understand virtually nothing about what I have read on this site. I am sure if I take some time to look up each term I would get it, but I haven't got the time right now, I am about to jump on a plane to Miami. I understand that this questions has probably been answered, but please, try to tone it down to someone who does not know what any of the achronisms mean. Here is my question: I am building a restaurant, it will have live shows. The building is over 50 years old, and it was made with cement (and concrete), the heavy stuff. if one hits a wall the thing does not even shake. Just in case, and for the benefi of the tenants upstairs, I wish to do some moderate soundproofing. Basically, after reading some posts, I think the best for me will be to add 2x4 to the walls and add a board of some sort. question muber one: what sort of boards?
The shows will be live Flamenco shows, if you have never heard flamenco, there is a lot of kicking and screaming, increidbly hi-pitched tones and very low-bass drums (called Cajon) which means box, incidently, the instrumet is a wooden box that has a whole in the back and the front board is very thin, so when you hit it, well, you get the picture.
So, I hire someone to put the two by fors and the boards that you guys will recomend.

Aparently, that does not take care of the bass. what should I do about that?

What ever boards you guys recomend (and any other materials) do you guys ship internationaly? or do I have to take care of the import process myself? the place is in Argentina.

Thanks a lot!
Title: Re: bands and house rental
Post by: johnbergstromslc on July 09, 2007, 11:41:42 PM
Hey alessio

I like your honesty.  Too many people come to this site in 'self-styled expert' mode, already having made up their minds what they're gonna do, and get quite upset when someone tells them their plan won't work.

Since walls and floor of the building are concrete, you're off to a good start.  I think your idea of putting up 2X4 walls is a good one, too.  You'll have to secure them to the floor and ceiling, of course, but don't rigidly attach them to the concrete walls; leave an airspace of an inch (25 mm) or so .  As for the ceiling, the same applies - keep it independent of the concrete floor above.  Either hang it with spring isolators or bolt the wood ceiling joists onto the new stud walls. 

Before you attach any 'boards', insulate.  The insulation will help kill noise.  Fiberglass and mineral wool are the most cost-effective and are easily available. 

Now, 'boards':  Use drywall.  It's heavy (good for sound) and cheap.  Also, available anywhere.  If you want to do the walls with paneling or some kind of decorative finish, okay, but get at least one layer of 5/8" (16 mm) thick drywall up first.  And seal up any gaps or holes before mudding and painting.   


Title: Re: bands and house rental
Post by: ears4hire on December 20, 2008, 02:03:08 AM
Don't forget to treat the walls so the Studio sounds good.

See the "Control Room Layout?" topic for more on this; an excerpt below:

Bass traps are the typical solution for bass resonance. If the room is all sheetrock the room will not have a flat response; it will be mid-bass heavy, so mid-freq. tuned panels maybe what you need.

With harder construction materials the typical tuned panels may not be what you need, standard reverb control panel may so it.

David Kennedy
Acoustic Consultant
phone: 760-798-9038