Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Soundproofing Forum Topics => Sound Control if you're Renting - Apartments, Condo, ETC => Topic started by: slippy on April 27, 2006, 11:08:45 PM

Title: Rental Unit -high ceilings
Post by: slippy on April 27, 2006, 11:08:45 PM
I live in an apartment that 'features' high ceilings.  The floors are hardwood and I can hear a lot of impact noise...cupboards, dishes, footsteps...from the units to the side.  

There is also space between the floor and the moulding which could be sealed I guess.  

If I decide to put anything up, do I need total coverage for it to work?  getting material to cover the height would really suck.

Title: Re: Rental Unit -high ceilings
Post by: noisetwentyone on May 18, 2006, 05:01:44 PM

The kind of noise generally associated with footsteps, vacuum cleaners, doors slamming and the like is often known as structural or impact noise. This type of noise propagates from the source of the noise as vibrations spread throughout the structure. There is no easy fix, some construction is unavoidable and the entire wall must be treated. Still, there are ways to help.

One common method which helps reduce these structural vibrations involves floating a wall using sound isolation components. The procedure calls for screwing sound isolation clips through the current drywall into the studs, attaching resilient channel (also know as Chicago Channel, C-Channel, Sound Isolation Channel among others) to the clips and hanging sheetrock from the channel. A 1/4" gap is left around the perimeter of the new wall and sealed with a non-hardening sealant or caulking. Sound isolation components are available from various manufacturers.
Title: Re: Rental Unit -high ceilings
Post by: joel on August 26, 2006, 06:27:50 PM
Hi slippy,

If you can modify your walls, a new product is available that can decouple a new layer of drywall to your existing common wall with your neighbor without the expensive build-out described by noisetwentyone below.  The material is a visco-elastic adhesive used in a sandwich fashion between sheets of drywall and other building materials.  Green Glue is its name.  For some info see