Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Soundproofing Forum Topics => Soundproofing your Condo, Townhouse or Bed & Breakfast => Topic started by: theguide on December 29, 2006, 02:59:45 AM

Title: Noisy neighbors
Post by: theguide on December 29, 2006, 02:59:45 AM
I just moved into a new co-op apt. and all I can hear are other people. The guy above me is 'considerably' over-wieght and everytime he moves the floor squeaks and shudders. The family next door has two kids that run rampat through the apt. all day and night. 
The only problem is, I don't have alot of money after just buying the place.  Eventually I might tear down the cieling and wall to really soundproof it, but in the meantime, are there any inepensive ways to reduce the noise? It is mostly impact noise with muffled voices. Any help would be appreciated.
Title: Re: Noisy neighbors
Post by: barbarajor on January 19, 2007, 06:07:30 PM
I'd recommend Googling "acoustical consultant" for your area (hopefully you're in an urban center where there might be some listed in the phonebook), but Google is the place I started. Then get the consultant (you must be prepared to pay the consultant's fee, of course) over there to assess the problem. There's no way anyone can just make soundproofing recommendations on internet without actually being in your apartment when the noise is happening, and taking measurements of the noise.
I just hired a consultant who saved me a lot of money by telling me my situation was worse than I thought, and no amount of soundproofing of one particular wall was going to help (which is what the internet suggestions were).
He told me what the "practical" solutions I could take addition to the elaborate and expensive partial solutions. We've opted to do a practical primary solution, and if that isn't enough, maybe we'll consider the more expensive solutions. At least he outlined all the options, especially the ones that would probably have done NO good, and wasted our time and money.
Title: Re: Noisy neighbors
Post by: johnbergstromslc on January 19, 2007, 10:52:51 PM
I agree, I think that's good advice.

You can only get general advice from us, and there are too many details, too many exceptions to any property for it to apply across the board.  Unless you've studied soundproofing/noise reduction and have confidence you can address the problem and direct the work yourself (and not end up throwing money away on futile solutions) then absolutely seek help from professionals.

P.S.:  What did your guy find out?  What is the $ range of solutions?