Author Topic: portable generator  (Read 99124 times)

Quinn Bean

portable generator
« on: May 26, 2004, 11:06:54 AM »
I am RVer and I have a portable generator Generac  5000exl.  I get so tired of these other RVers bragging about their Honda  and Yamahi generators.   And that there is no hope for me to quiet mine down enough that I would be allowed in the Camp ground.  I sure would like to prove them all wrong.  And then splash all the RV forums with my solution.  This sure would put an end to all that crap they hand out.  I want and enclosurer that is light and portable, that needs ventlation.  I have seen your box but the demension look like they would be way too large to handle.  Looking forward to quieting their (other RVers) noise.

Q. Bean

Re: portable generator
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004, 11:11:25 AM »
I now assume that nobody  else has this problem.  Or is it everyone is not going to speak up if they did.  Surley someone has a help.

boborther

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2004, 04:37:07 PM »
Quinn,

The box or enclosure can be constructed of lightweight materials such as aluminum  or a heat resistant plastic material. You would line the inside of the enclosure with a closed cell vinyl nitrile foam mat. Quinn, you will need to duct in ventilation into the enclosure, and also be able to duct the exhaust away from the camp site.

Quinn, this will take a small degree of set up, but when you are done, you can put the Honda  and the Yamaha campers to shame. It can be done , believe me.

Another method is the little box inside of the big box  method which might alleviate you from having to do the ducting of the ventilation or the exhaust if it is done properly.

This method would consist of 2 boxes one large than the other, you would cut out one side of each box and place th smaller box over top of the generator, and then slip the the large box with the same open end directly over top of the smalled box. You would line both box interiors with the closed cell foam. This method allows exhaust removal as well as ventilation into the generator.
The box diagram and muffler is at [url]http://soundproofing.org/infopages/generator.htm

Quinn, I sure hope this gives you a solid plan for quieting your outdoor generator. Thanks for the post.

Sincerely,

Skip

Super Soundproofing Senior Technical Advisor

Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040

Soundproofing Advisor to The New York Times

E-mail: skip@soundproofing.org

Anytime  (888) 942-7723

[/i][/color]

Dave Cook

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 11:15:01 AM »
I just read your post about quieting your generator.  I have the same problem (too noisy) and the same wish (be as quiet as a honda for a lot less money).

I am just wondering how you made out and what advice you could give me if any.

Thanks
Dave

kurt a schmidt

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 09:11:09 PM »
i went to pep boys and picked up a car muffler that was compact enough to fit inside the generators frame,then i welded one end shut and drilled a hole in the side of the closed end and welded a pipe nipple(3/4npt)and welded a small flange that screwed to the generators exhaust port,the noise reduction was amazing!

John Pearcy

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 03:30:46 PM »
I know there are a number of quiter generators on the market. Look for how many dB a generator is rated for in the specs.

We have one model that is rated at 65 to 67 dB and I have heard people say that it is reasonably quiet.

The models that are advertised as quiet tend to be more like 59 to 60 dB. We have some of those too, but are currently out of stock on our website.

Now, for making an existing unit quiet, be careful.

You have to make sure the unit gets air to burn.

You have to make sure the unit gets air to keep cool.

You have to make sure the unit can freely get rid of it's exhaust without causing, what do you call it, back pressure I think.

Don't simply put it in some closed box or shed. In a shed you can enter yourself, it can create a hazard, just like running a car in a closed garage.

Sincerely,
John Pearcy
-----------------------------------------
Sr. Engineer
Elim International, Inc.
298 Main Street. Suite 200
Buffalo, NY 14202
716-566-9500 x5870
http://www.eliminternational.com
http://www.eliminatorusa.com

DonB

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 10:08:22 PM »
For a generator in an enclosure it's a simple matter to route your exhaust to the outside.  If you wrap your exhaust components with 2000° F. header tape, you will preserve the highest egt within the system enabling safe use of quieter and more restrictive exhaust components. This makes the addition of virtually unlimited lengths of tubing a non-issue. Insulating the exhaust greatly increases the velocity of the gas which reduces back pressure. This not only enables you to use the quietest of components without performance penalty or danger to the engine, it greatly reduces the ambient temperature and radiant heat within your enclosure. The wrap itself serves to further reduce noise.  This simple modification makes the entire installation safer, more efficient and enhances longevity of the equipment.

jpearcy

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005, 02:06:39 PM »
DonB,

Wouldn't that add to backpressure to the engine? I know with vehicle engines that changing the muffler significantly can change the backpressure to the engine and creat a problem, but I don't understand it well enough to say how and why it causes a problem or how to correct it.

Sincerely,
John Pearcy
Sr. Engineer
Elim International, Inc.
Buffalo, NY 14202
716-566-9500 x5870

DonB

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2005, 12:05:23 PM »
John,

Insulating the exhaust preserves the heat of the gasses which greatly increases velocity. The increased velocity reduces back pressure. This compensates for the addition of more restrictive components.

Don

jpearcy

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 10:07:57 AM »
Kurt, Don and others,

It is good information to know how to make your generator quieter.

I know a lot of people are very interested in being able to quiet down their generators. I'll be referring a number of them to this discussion.

Sincerely,
John Pearcy
Sr. Engineer
Elim International, Inc.
Buffalo, NY 14202
716-566-9500 x5870

Ric B

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2005, 04:20:29 AM »
Kurt,

What muffler did you get at PepBoys? Cost? Do you have any pics you'd care to post. I would love to keep the $800 Generac 4000XL that I bought which has great features, is HIGH quality, but is LOUD! If it doesn't work, I will buy a ELM-3000 or ELM-3600SS and do the same thing to it, since it will start out more quietly to begin with.  

Thanks in advance for your input and advice!

Ric

DonB

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2005, 05:58:03 AM »
Ric,

I also have a Generac 4000XL I bought in 1995 for around $800. Indeed, it is a very high quality unit. After all these years, I finally has to change the voltage regulator.

It's not very loud at all. In fact, it's a whisper  when compared to the 15 KW diesel genset I recently installed. I've been running this Generac on the front porch due to lack of a better protected place while running the wiring around the corner to the main panel. As long as we keep that front window closed, it has never bothered us. Is your muffler still okay?

Don

rj

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2005, 09:13:14 PM »
For those with a generac 4000 or 7000 exl, i did the double box with Mass loaded vinyl, long inlet and outlets, one with a big computer fan.

I have this unit...4000exl in my truck bed. Gas tank was removed from the frame and feed in elsehwere...

checked the temp with a meat thermo, it was well within what a would call good.

i took most of the good ideas and made them work....this unit is quieter then the china knock offs, honda's and all the rest.....

my cost? or about 80 dollars....and I can use this unit at home or where a please...I didn't want to honda ect for the rv only...is that right? I read they have to buy 2 units to do the job off one...

and believe me, they aren't quiet, I heard 2 of them buzz on enough ...over mine running...so it can be done!

RJ

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2005, 06:34:07 PM »
Update on how I got the exhaust out of the box....
http://www.grnet.com/therhinosuite/y2kandgenerato/photo-donvj's.htm

Gary Hall

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2005, 07:52:50 AM »
"i did the double box with Mass loaded vinyl, long inlet and outlets, one with a big computer fan. "

RC, do you have a picture / drawing of this box? I am interested in making one that will allow "easy" access. Each 15 to 24 hours I have open it up to stop/start and fill with gas.

O.K. to send pictures at the address below. I have 4 MBit down load and a 250 mailbox, send whatever you have.

Thanks.

Warm regards,

Gary

gary.chris at comcast.net

anything