Author Topic: Sound isolation without a wall  (Read 7882 times)

zoran

Sound isolation without a wall
« on: November 30, 2005, 03:26:12 PM »
Hi,
I recently rented a room in a apartment, but the problem is that there's a gap between my room and kitchen 2.5x2.5m in size (there's only some light door between). Sounds I want to isolate are normal speech + standard kitchen noises.

My plan is to build some kind of sound isolation, but it has to be as cheap as possible. I found some sponge like material that has STC of around 23 (as they say), and was thinking to buy some cork as I heard it's good at sound isolation. The idea is to create some kind of wooden structure and to put this sponge like material and cork on it + maybe one or two layers of cardboard.

What do you guys think, is this a reasonable plan and would this structure provide some kind of sound isolation or should I think more serious, like sound isolation + gypsum?

Thanks,
Zoran

supersoundproofing

Re: Sound isolation without a wall
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 05:29:41 PM »
It's impossible to say what results you'll get with the unidentified materials you're planning to use....
The proper way to do it is at http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/soundproofing_doors.htm or better, at http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/windowplug.htm If you do decide to go ahead with your plan, please let us know how it works!

BJ Nash

John Rice

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 04:30:09 PM »
I don't think your plan is going to work very well, but it does sound cheap so you won't be sinking much costs in.

John Rice

zoran

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 05:14:35 PM »
I don't think your plan is going to work very well, but it does sound cheap so you won't be sinking much costs in.

Why do you think it's not going to work, because all materials I listed are not heavy enough or for some other reason?

I was thinking to use gypsum boards (1/2 inch thick) instead of coark (I can buy two layers of these for the price of one layer of cork). Do you think this would be a better solution?

Zoran

supersoundproofing

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 10:04:05 PM »

Why do you think it's not going to work, because all materials I listed are not heavy enough or for some other reason?

I was thinking to use gypsum boards (1/2 inch thick) instead of coark (I can buy two layers of these for the price of one layer of cork). Do you think this would be a better solution?

Zoran

Except for MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard), inexpensive and soundproofing are not synonymous!

SOundproofing on the cheap is pretty difficult and some of the materials you've selected are not effective at all.  (Such as cork and 1/2" wallboard).  Better would be Duroc (COncreteboard) or roll roofing.

BJ Nash Super Soundproofing CO

anything