Author Topic: Common wall bass sounds from stereo  (Read 2784 times)

johnvic

Common wall bass sounds from stereo
« on: May 21, 2009, 02:45:59 PM »
I've checked other postings, but our sound problem seems to differ slightly, so I'm unsure if other remedies apply.

We live in a loft condo, converted in 2000 from a timber loft printing press building originally built 1902.  Ours is a "combined" 6th floor unit, so that our master bedroom is what would have been a living room.  Thus the unit next to us has its living room next to our master bedroom.

A new owner bought the unit next to us and he enjoys late parties while playing "Abercombie & Fitch shopping music" that sounds like a perpetual fashion show runway.  It's "thud, thud, thud" mood music to liven up the party.  Sometimes he or his roommate just turn on the same percussive music, even when there's no party.  He's a nice guy, and has turned down his party music and moved his speakers, but we can still hear that throbbing, deep percussive sound.  We don't hear higher frequency sounds, but can hear male voices and party laughter and chatter that sometimes last until 3 AM, and we need to get to work in the morning.  We have another bedroom, so can move to get a good night's sleep, but I'd really like to find out if there's a way to block/suppress/otherwise eliminate this deep percussive, regular noise from coming through the walls?  I presume that the walls are standard "double" drywall with wooden studs and some fiberglass insulation.  Although there are no visible openings between us, when his party guests smoke cigarettes, we get some of the smoke smell in our bedroom. 

The ceiling to our bedroom is quite high–about 10 feet, so the common wall is pretty huge:  maybe 15 feet by 10 feet high.  The percussive sound is definitely transmitting through the wall, not the floor or ceiling.  There are two pipes at ceiling height, for the fire sprinkler system, that penetrate the common wall.

Is ours an application that 'active damping' might be suited for? 

Ear plugs don't seem to help much.

JGV in Chicago

anything