Author Topic: Sound Dampen A Room  (Read 971 times)

Verse

Sound Dampen A Room
« on: October 16, 2013, 04:04:54 AM »
Hi all, new guys here with an ambitious goul here's my situation.

I have the space of a double lock up garage, though only one roller door so I want to turn that space into a live / recording room, essentially for home projects, the house is brick with an upstairs. The space I would like to utilise is essentially 3.2 wide x 4.2 long and 2.2 meters high, which for you non-metric types is 10.49 x 13.77 x 7.21 Feet (according to Google). From the little I know about sound "proofing" the idea is to build a room within a room and use dense material.

I'll worry about diffusion and alike at a later stage, my area of focus is at the moment is to dampen the sound so I don't piss off the neighbors when my three piece band is rehearsing (drums, guitar, bass, vocals). My budget is whatever it needs to be keeping in mind bang-for-buck results, though I'm hoping to only have to invest around 1 - 1.5K on the job. I am pretty handy with power tools and don't mind getting my hands dirty and I have googled around already though have yet to find a solution that is specific to my situation.

Any ideas, thoughts, decent products, specs of your own attempts etc... will be very helpful, I thank you all in advance!

P.S - How well does Green Glue actually work as that appears to be my favorable avenue at the moment
http://greengluesoundproofing.com/instructions/index.html

jhbrandt

• JH Brandt
Re: Sound Dampen A Room
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 10:14:11 PM »
Verses,

Dampening is not what you want.. Sound-Proofing is. ;)

You want to stop sound from going outside the practice room / studio.
This is accomplished with MASS. - You already have some decent mass with the brick & concrete walls. The problem is your openings; Windows and Doors. These must be re-built to provide the same (preferably more) mass than the walls. This means very heavy doors (filled with sand) and thick laminated glass for the windows. ALSO - very important - an air-tight seal is of the utmost importance. If the room is not air-tight, sound will leak.

Enter the next problem:
Once you have the room air-tight, you will not be able to breathe in the room with the door closed. You will need as sound-proof ventilation system. I'm not talking about heating or cooling. Ventilation involves new, fresh air - without which you will suffocate.  :P

This is an endeavor that should not be taken lightly - or cheaply. Sorry. As always, budget is of major concern. The least expensive way to proceed would be to begin by replacing the door & window, then move to the ceiling. Is the ceiling gypsum board? If so, you will need to look at the construction to see what you have going on there. This can get complicated but lets take this one step at a time. Let's see what you already have going on before contemplating room-in-a-room or Green Glue. note: GG is good stuff.-- WHEN you need it. Let's find out if it is right for you. ;)

You can find some helpful documents on my publications page along with calculators. Enjoy.

Once we get the sound-proofing issue settled, we can move on to the acoustics of the space.
Cheers,
John
John H. Brandt - Recording Studio, Performance Hall & Architectural Acoustics Consultants

Verse

Re: Sound Dampen A Room
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 05:49:59 PM »
Thanks for your reply jhbrandt,

I am pretty set on constructing a box within a room due to the nature of my situation, I rent and whilst I've been allowed to construct a box in the garage, I am not allowed to modify any of the existing construction.  So to that end, and understanding the expense involved I am hoping to achieve a reduction in decibel levels to the outside world, it's more of a courtesy than anything else.  My plan thus far is as follows;

Construct a floating 'box' based on this image for the walls;

Materials / Process
1.5 cm sheet of drywall
Green glue
1.5 cm sheet of drywall
staggered studs
rockwall (or similar)
1.5 cm sheet of drywall
green glue
1.5 cm sheet of drywall

I plan building these as 'partitions' with so they can be self supported (I realise these will be heavy in nature).  The box will be supported by fixing right-angle joints on both the inside and outside corners and by attaching partition 'feet'.

So assuming I'm going down the right path which all my research thus far suggests (please, do correct me if I'm wrong or if there is a better way).  My next concern is what do to with the floor and ceiling.  The floor will probably be easier to deal with then the ceiling.  I am very concerned with putting a heavy load bearing on top a self supporting box.

At this pre-planning stage I am not looking at how to tackle ventilation, patching, treatment or an entrance, obviously I will have to, the amount of space I have is always going to be a problem.

anything