Author Topic: How to use soundboard, channel and drywall together  (Read 3521 times)

Glenn Petersen

How to use soundboard, channel and drywall together
« on: January 07, 2002, 12:13:27 AM »
Thanks for the excellent site.  Of course I just found it now when it is almost too late.  I did order the $10 electronic version of the guide.
Three days from now a crew of drywallers will come in to put up soundboard, channel and drywall in my basement rec-room.  At Home Depot they promote putting soundboard first on the studs/joists, then channel, then drywall.  
Do you suggest it is more effective to hang the soundboard and drywall both off the channel?  
How much more effective is 5/8 drywall versus 1/2 inch?  I did all the planning for 1/2, and a number of changes would be required at a late date.
How quick can the neoprene vibration pads be sent to Canada?
Finally, in spite of wanting to sound-proof this room as much as possible, design considerations (i.e. my other half) demanded the use of pot lights in the room.  Have I eliminated all the benefit of the other soundproofing through the installation of pot lights?
Thanks in advance.
Glenn

bjnash

• Administrator
    • SUPER SOUNDPROOFING CO
Re: How to use soundboard, channel and drywall together
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2002, 09:24:08 PM »
: Thanks for the excellent site.  Of course I just found it now when it is almost too late.  I did order the $10 electronic version of the guide.
: Three days from now a crew of drywallers will come in to put up soundboard, channel and drywall in my basement rec-room.  At Home Depot they promote putting soundboard first on the studs/joists, then channel, then drywall.  
You should try to have the largest airspace possible- not 2 smaller airspaces. It should be channel, soundboard and drywall.
: Do you suggest it is more effective to hang the soundboard and drywall both off the channel?  
Yes
: How much more effective is 5/8 drywall versus 1/2 inch?  I did all the planning for 1/2, and a number of changes would be required at a late date.
About twice as effective.  You can add 3/8" over the 1/2", you know.  (There may be some additional benefit from this!).
: How quick can the neoprene vibration pads be sent to Canada?
Sorry, not quick enough!  Takes about a week for UPS, but your Customs Boys have a go at it.
: Finally, in spite of wanting to sound-proof this room as much as possible, design considerations (i.e. my other half) demanded the use of pot lights in the room.  Have I eliminated all the benefit of the other soundproofing through the installation of pot lights?
One should not cut holes in ones soundproofing panels.
: Thanks in advance.
: Glenn

BJ Nash
Super Soundproofing Senior Technical advisor
www.Soundproofing.org

anything