Author Topic: Help. I've got single-pain windows that look out on to ...  (Read 5556 times)

seth

Help. I've got single-pain windows that look out on to ...
« on: April 03, 2002, 07:13:31 PM »
a very noisey street. Here is what I thought of doing:
Have a 1/4" sheet of plexiglass cut to the size of my window-jam (it's rather deep, so I've got some space in there) and getting some kind of rubber, gasket seal to go around the edge of the plexiglass that will fit snuggly into the window-jam.
How do you think this will work? Would to sheets of 1/8" plexi bolted together give more sound-proofing?
Thanks for your help.

seth

that should be "...single PANE..." nt
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2002, 07:15:12 PM »
: a very noisey street. Here is what I thought of doing:
: Have a 1/4" sheet of plexiglass cut to the size of my window-jam (it's rather deep, so I've got some space in there) and getting some kind of rubber, gasket seal to go around the edge of the plexiglass that will fit snuggly into the window-jam.
: How do you think this will work? Would to sheets of 1/8" plexi bolted together give more sound-proofing?
: Thanks for your help.

Hinda

Re: Help. I've got single-pain windows that look out on to ...
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2002, 04:51:20 AM »
:Dear Seth,
 I am having a similiar problem and would love to know if the plexiglass has helped you.  Someone suggested "lexan" to me, whichI believe is a very strong plexiglass.  Please let me know what you found out.  Thanks so much.   Hinda                                                                                              a very noisey street. Here is what I thought of doing:
: Have a 1/4" sheet of plexiglass cut to the size of my window-jam (it's rather deep, so I've got some space in there) and getting some kind of rubber, gasket seal to go around the edge of the plexiglass that will fit snuggly into the window-jam.
: How do you think this will work? Would to sheets of 1/8" plexi bolted together give more sound-proofing?
: Thanks for your help.

seth

here's what I did...
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2002, 02:01:28 PM »
First of all I have windows that are set deep into the wall. Probably about 4"-5" of window jam. I measured the window jam (aproximately 32" wide x 58" high). I got two pieces of plexiglass cut to 31.5 wide x 57.5" high (you could also get the hieght cut to 57.75", I'll explain why latter). I had four 3/8" holes drilled in the corners, 1-1/2" in from the edge (the two sheets should be taped together so that you can drill thru both at once). Then along the top and the bottom I measured in 9" from the center of the corner holes and drilled two more holes. So now there are four holes along the top and bottom, with two holes spaced 9" in from either of the corner holes.
Then I measured the sides 11"(?) from the center of the corner hole and drilled another 3/8 hole. And then from that hole I measured another 11". So now I have 6 holes along each side at aproximately 11" apart.
Then I got a whole bunch of door sweeps. The kind WITH OUT the metal bracket (it will have a self-adhesive strip on the back). If you can find door sweeps sold in a roll that would be best. And I got a roll of foam weather stripping with self-adhesive strip on the back.
I cut the door sweeps and weather stripping to the length of each side of the plexi. And on one I put the sweep and the other I put the stripping. The sweep will act as a gasket for the door jam and the stripping will add a little more space and cushioning between the two pieces of plexi. Now, you can also cut the exposed sweep from the bottom of your plexi-window and attach more stripping to the shelf of the window jam, so that will act as a cushion for your window. Then with 1/4" bolts and WIDE washers (washers on both the bolt-head side and the nut side) I bolted them together. I got a bunch of self-adhesive "bathroom" style hooks and attached them around the edge of the window. You will want to place them in the corners, two in the middle of each side and in the middle of the top and bottom so that you can make little micro-adjustments to the fitting of your new window.
I've only got one in my bedroom right now and it's a remarkable difference. It will not cut down on car horns or alarms that much but just the noise of trucks and cars will be greatly diminished. The only drawbacks are that you cannot have your windows open and they are expensive. Each sheet of plexi was $75 and the bolts/stripping/sweeps where another $40.
please feel free to email me if you have more questions. If you'd like I could take pictures of what I've done and send them to you.
Good luck

seth prince

an addendum ...
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2002, 01:26:53 AM »
My window-jam is not perfectly squared. I mean that the angles at the corners are not exactly 90 degrees. AND the edges are not perfectly straight. If you have a perfectly (of course we know nothing is PERFECT, but...) squared-off window jam you will only need to shave off 1/4" from the length and width of your plexi window
If you live near Brooklyn, you can have at what I've done.
Good luck, Seth

seth

I might have a solution for people who ...
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2002, 01:31:42 AM »
suffer from traffic noise poisoning. Check out my previous thread.

Re: here's what I did...
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2002, 12:47:41 PM »
car parts

car parts

I found the best place for car parts! They have the lowest prices and largest selection on all car parts. Get car parts for less than anywhere else. I recommend them highly.

car parts
http://www.sparepartsforcars.com/other-parts.html
First of all I have windows that are set deep into the wall. Probably about 4"-5" of window jam. I measured the window jam (aproximately 32" wide x 58" high). I got two pieces of plexiglass cut to 31.5 wide x 57.5" high (you could also get the hieght cut to 57.75", I'll explain why latter). I had four 3/8" holes drilled in the corners, 1-1/2" in from the edge (the two sheets should be taped together so that you can drill thru both at once). Then along the top and the bottom I measured in 9" from the center of the corner holes and drilled two more holes. So now there are four holes along the top and bottom, with two holes spaced 9" in from either of the corner holes.
: Then I measured the sides 11"(?) from the center of the corner hole and drilled another 3/8 hole. And then from that hole I measured another 11". So now I have 6 holes along each side at aproximately 11" apart.
: Then I got a whole bunch of door sweeps. The kind WITH OUT the metal bracket (it will have a self-adhesive strip on the back). If you can find door sweeps sold in a roll that would be best. And I got a roll of foam weather stripping with self-adhesive strip on the back.
: I cut the door sweeps and weather stripping to the length of each side of the plexi. And on one I put the sweep and the other I put the stripping. The sweep will act as a gasket for the door jam and the stripping will add a little more space and cushioning between the two pieces of plexi. Now, you can also cut the exposed sweep from the bottom of your plexi-window and attach more stripping to the shelf of the window jam, so that will act as a cushion for your window. Then with 1/4" bolts and WIDE washers (washers on both the bolt-head side and the nut side) I bolted them together. I got a bunch of self-adhesive "bathroom" style hooks and attached them around the edge of the window. You will want to place them in the corners, two in the middle of each side and in the middle of the top and bottom so that you can make little micro-adjustments to the fitting of your new window.
: I've only got one in my bedroom right now and it's a remarkable difference. It will not cut down on car horns or alarms that much but just the noise of trucks and cars will be greatly diminished. The only drawbacks are that you cannot have your windows open and they are expensive. Each sheet of plexi was $75 and the bolts/stripping/sweeps where another $40.
: please feel free to email me if you have more questions. If you'd like I could take pictures of what I've done and send them to you.
: Good luck