Author Topic: Soundproofing for area rugs  (Read 7484 times)

Colleen

Soundproofing for area rugs
« on: December 17, 2002, 10:03:02 PM »
When I buy new area rugs to install over our hardwood floors I would like to install a carpet padding that provides for some soundproofing, to deaden our footfalls for our neighbors below, and to also deaden the little bit of snoring we hear in our bedroom from the bedroom below (the snoring is not loud, and it can only be heard if one focuses quite hard on listening for it in the middle of the night).  Am I wasting my money to buy either your Super Soundproofing Floor Mat (with the foam backing) or the Super Soundproofing Flooring (without the foam backing) to use in conjunction with a conventional carpet pad?
If I buy either the the SSFM or the SSF, can I buy it in quantities less than 30-foot rolls?
Thanks,
Colleen

boborther

Re: Soundproofing for area rugs
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2002, 11:13:51 PM »
Colleen,
You are never wasting your money when soundproofing the right way. I would recommend going with the SSP floor mat with the foam backing. You can actually glue this material to the underside of the area rugs, (foam faced down on the hardwood floor of course) which would help to keep the area rug from slipping off of the floor mat and perhaps make cleaning under the rugs a little easier too.
Now keep in mind that the area rugs will help with the foot falls on your floor, and your neighbor will appreciate that I'm sure, but for optimum soundproofing, wall to wall carpeting with the floor mat beneath it would be the ticket.
See Colleen, the sounds from below will find their way around the area rugs, as the rugs will only have limited sound blocking capabilities (even with the floormat). Think of sound as water welling up from below, if it cannot pass through the area rugs, then it will find the path of least resistance, and come up through the uncovered wood floor areas. That's just the nature of sound and vibration. Also remember that wood transmits sound at upwards of 1200%.
Once again, the area rugs will be good for blocking a lot of the foot falls to the ceiling below, but will only marginally block the snoring coming the from the downstairs unit.
Lastly, you can purchase either of these materials in a little as 1 lineal foot, we have no problems cutting your material to order.
I sure hope this has enlightened you Colleen. Thanks for the interesting post.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888)942-7723