Author Topic: sealing ceiling fixture openings  (Read 2415 times)

jack

sealing ceiling fixture openings
« on: December 21, 2002, 10:06:23 PM »
When you are floating a ceiling, what measures should you take to seal the area around light fixtures or ceiling fans?  It seems that these would be a spot where sound could leak.

boborther

Re: sealing ceiling fixture openings
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2002, 08:37:35 AM »
Jack,
Recessed lighting and ceiling fans are oft times difficult to deal with when floating a ceiling. You are correct in your assessment that sound can pass readily through these areas. The fan can be sealed with a good acoustical caulk, like the caulk you can get at Soundproofing.org.
Now the recessed lights are a different story as the light can will get very hot. Some of my customers have lined the outsides of these cans with the closed cell foam, and though this material is very flame retardant there still is a possibility of this material deforming under intense and constant heat.
Generally when floating a ceiling, I recommend the use of track lighting as opposed to the recessed can lights.
You have to make a choice when floating a ceiling, and that is to decide which is most important to you. Is it the asthetics of the ceiling, or the fact that it is a soundproof ceiling, If you are losing sleep because of noise, then it seems to me that recessed lighting should be a secondary consideration.
If any of our other posters have found a solution to this problem, please post your remedy for recessed lighting in a floated ceiling. I would be most interested in reading any solution to this delemma.
Jack, thank for the interesting post.
Bob O.
boborther@soundproofing.org
www,soundproofing.org
(760) 749-7049
For orders only (888) 942-7723

boborther

More on recessed lighting in the ceriling!
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2002, 01:58:56 PM »
: When you are floating a ceiling, what measures should you take to seal the area around light fixtures or ceiling fans?  It seems that these would be a spot where sound could leak.

JACK,
I DID SOME FURTHER RESEARCH INTO THE MATTER OF THE RECESSED LIGHTING, AND DISCOVERED THAT THE LIGHT CANS THEMSELVES HAVE A TENDENCY TO ALLOW THE SOUND TO PASS QUITE READILY THROUGH THEM. THERE ARE APPARENTLY VENT HOLES ON THE BACK SIDES OF THESE FIXTURES, AND THAT IS A SERIOUS BREACH TO THE SOUNDPROOFING OF ANY FLOATED OR NON FLOATED CEILING. AS STATED IN THE PREVIOUS POST, IT IS DEFINITELY A BETTER IDEA TO GO WITH TRACK MOUNTED LIGHTS RATHER THAN THE RECESSED CAN LIGHTING. I HOPE THIS HELPS TO GET YOU ON THE RIGHT ROAD TO SOUNDPROOFING YOUR CEILING THE RIGHT WAY. THANKS JACK!

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

boborther

Re: More on recessed lighting in the ceiling!
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2002, 02:08:56 PM »
: : When you are floating a ceiling, what measures should you take to seal the area around light fixtures or ceiling fans?  It seems that these would be a spot where sound could leak.
:
:  JACK,
:  I DID SOME FURTHER RESEARCH INTO THE MATTER OF THE RECESSED LIGHTING, AND DISCOVERED THAT THE LIGHT CANS THEMSELVES HAVE A TENDENCY TO ALLOW THE SOUND TO PASS QUITE READILY THROUGH THEM. THERE ARE APPARENTLY VENT HOLES ON THE BACK SIDES OF THESE FIXTURES, AND THAT IS A SERIOUS BREACH TO THE SOUNDPROOFING OF ANY FLOATED OR NON FLOATED CEILING. AS STATED IN THE PREVIOUS POST, IT IS DEFINITELY A BETTER IDEA TO GO WITH TRACK MOUNTED LIGHTS RATHER THAN THE RECESSED CAN LIGHTING. I HOPE THIS HELPS TO GET YOU ON THE RIGHT ROAD TO SOUNDPROOFING YOUR CEILING THE RIGHT WAY. THANKS JACK!

: Bob Orther
: Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
: Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
: URL: www.soundproofing.org
: e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
: For orders only (888) 942-7723
: