Author Topic: How to reduce traffic noice  (Read 3458 times)

GiGi

How to reduce traffic noice
« on: December 24, 2002, 09:49:08 PM »
Hi,
My apartment is facing highways, and loud traffic noice can be heard inside the apartment, especially in the dining and living rooms.  Is there any effective yet economical way to improve that?  What kinds of choices could I have?  Since this is a rented place, I can't tear down the walls or windows.  
Need your help!!!  

boborther

Re: How to reduce traffic noice
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2002, 12:06:45 AM »
: Hi,
: My apartment is facing highways, and loud traffic noice can be heard inside the apartment, especially in the dining and living rooms.  Is there any effective yet economical way to improve that?  What kinds of choices could I have?  Since this is a rented place, I can't tear down the walls or windows.  
: Need your help!!!  
GIGI,
YOU NEED TO FIRST DETERMINE EXACTLY WHERE THE SOUND IS ENTERING THE APARTMENT. YOUR EARS ARE A GOOD GUAGE. IF IT IS COMING IN THROUGH THE WALLS, THERE ARE SPECIFIC WAYS TO TREAT THAT, BUT IF THE TRAFFIC NOISES ARE COMING IN THROUGH THE WINDOWS, THE TREATMENT IS ENTIRELY DIFFERENT.
IF THE PROBLEM IS A WINDOW, THE ACOUSTICAL CURTAINS WOULD BE HELPFUL IN BLOCKING AND ABSORBING MUCH OF THE SOUND, AND YOU WOULD NOT BE ALTERING THE APARTMENT AT ALL.
THERE IS ALSO THE OPTION OF THE WINDOW PLUG, USING THE 2" CLOSED CELL FOAM. IT WOULD BE CUT TO FIT THE WINDOW FRAME WITH ABOUT 1" EXTRA AROUND THE PERIMETER THAT WOULD MAKE THE PLUG FIT TIGHTLY INTO THE WINDOW FRAME (LIKE A CORK IN A BOTTLE). IT IS BEST IF THERE IS A DEAD AIR SPACE BETWEEN THE PLUG AND THE WINDOW GLASS ITSELF. NOW GIGI, KEEP IN MIND THAT THIS PLUG WILL BLOCK OUT THE LIGHT WHILE PLUGGED INTO THE WINDOW, BUT IT CAN EASILY BE REMOVED DURING THE DAY TO ALLOW THE LIGHT IN.
THE LAST WINDOW OPTION WOULD BE TO INSTALL A WINDOW WITHIN A WINDOW. THIS WOULD ENTAIL USING THE MAGNET SEAL WINDOW INSERT. THIS WINDOW INSERT IS MADE UP OF WINDOW GRADE PLEXIGLASS THAT RESISTS FADING, AND HAS AN STC (SOUND TRANSMISSION CLASS) OF 29. THE WINDOW INSERT HAS A BELLOWS SYSTEM THAT HAS A MAGNETIC TRACK THAT WILL FIT INTO A METAL BRACKET ASSEMBLY THAT YOU WILL INSTALL IN THE WINDOW FRAME. THESE WINDOWS ARE VERY EFFECTIVE FOR BLOCKING TRAFFIC NOISES.
GIGI, I HOPE THIS HAS BEEN HELPFUL TO YOU, AND PLEASE FOLLOW UP WITH MORE DETAILS IF POSSIBLE. REMEMBER, YOUR EARS ARE ONE OF THE BEST SOUND METERS KNOWN TO MAN. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723