Author Topic: Babies being woken by noisy neighbours help!  (Read 3185 times)

Paula

Babies being woken by noisy neighbours help!
« on: January 09, 2003, 01:42:50 PM »

We just bought a brick and tile home on what we thought was going to be a nice quiet street and we are experiencing 2 distinct problems.
1) The neighbours are all friends and party to all hours - their kids basically riot and wake our babies.
and 2)Everything we say above a dull roar can be heard out on the street - when I sing to my babies it's like street Karaoke:(
The prev owner who built the house was a cheapskate and the house has no insulation and no tinting or anything on the windows.
I need ideas, please help.
Paula

boborther

Re: Babies being awakened by noisy neighbours help!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2003, 01:16:53 AM »
:
: We just bought a brick and tile home on what we thought was going to be a nice quiet street and we are experiencing 2 distinct problems.
: 1) The neighbours are all friends and party to all hours - their kids basically riot and wake our babies.
: and 2)Everything we say above a dull roar can be heard out on the street - when I sing to my babies it's like street Karaoke:(
: The prev owner who built the house was a cheapskate and the house has no insulation and no tinting or anything on the windows.
: I need ideas, please help.
: Paula

PAULA,
YOU NEED TO DETERMINE JUST WHERE THE SOUND IS ESCAPING FROM,(OR COMING IN FROM). IF IT IS LEAKING THROUGH THE WALLS YOU WOULD TREAT THAT ONE WAY, BUT IF IT IS LEAKING OUT THROUGH  THE WINDOWS, THAT IS AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT MATTER.
REGULAR FIBERGLASS INSULATION IS NOT A GOOD SOUNDPROOFER,(TRANSMITS SOUND THROUGH IT'S FIBERS) ACTUALLY THE DEAD AIR SPACE IN YOUR WALLS WILL HELP MORE IN YOUR SOUNDPROOFING EFFORT THAN WILL THE INSULATION.
PAULA, USE YOUR EARS, AND WHEN THE NOISE IS THE LOUDEST FROM THE NEIGHBORS, TRY TO DETERMINE IF IT IS COMING IN THROUGH THE WALLS OR THE WINDOWS, THIS WILL HELP ME TO ASSESS YOUR SITUATION, AND BE ABLE TO BETTER ADVISE YOU ON WHAT MATERIALS YOU WILL NEED.
 THANKS FOR THE POST. IF YOU NEED FURTHER INFORMATION, PLEASE DON'T HESITATE TO CALL...

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723