Author Topic: MLV to popcorn ceiling  (Read 3351 times)

Cristine

MLV to popcorn ceiling
« on: January 21, 2003, 12:10:38 AM »
HI , I've been doing alot of research on how I need to go about blocking out the impact and even airborne noise from the person upstairs from me.
My questions to you are:
1- Can MLV be applied to a ceiling that has a popcorn/bumpy finish?
2- What are the contents of MLV?   I believe I read somewhere to make sure what MLV I purchase is the 'real' MLV not the imitation kind of rubber and neoprene, in any case , how would I know if its the good kind or not?
Thank you for your help and thank you for such a great site on soundproofing.
Best regards,
Cristine

boborther

Re: MLV to popcorn ceiling
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2003, 01:33:32 AM »
: HI , I've been doing alot of research on how I need to go about blocking out the impact and even airborne noise from the person upstairs from me.
: My questions to you are:
: 1- Can MLV be applied to a ceiling that has a popcorn/bumpy finish?
: 2- What are the contents of MLV?   I believe I read somewhere to make sure what MLV I purchase is the 'real' MLV not the imitation kind of rubber and neoprene, in any case , how would I know if its the good kind or not?
: Thank you for your help and thank you for such a great site on soundproofing.
: Best regards,
: Cristine

Cristine,
The popcorn ceiling is simply a texturing and can be scraped off the ceiling with a putty knife and water which makes the popcorn moist and easy to remove from the ceiling.
How can you tell if the MLV you are getting is real? I would ask about the manufacturer and how long they have been in business. Most companies that sell inferior products are not likely to be in business for very long.
I hope this answers your questions Cristine.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

anything