Author Topic: adding more sheetrock?  (Read 2080 times)

steve

adding more sheetrock?
« on: February 25, 2003, 07:32:24 PM »
i have a layer of 1/8 mlv and a layer of 5/8 sheetrock on an existing walls of a room.  i will next proceed to add the rsc1 with a 5/8 layer of sheetrock attached to the resiliant channel.  my question is what is is worth to add a second layer of 5/8 sheetrock to the existing wall in terms of stc?
also is it ok to use sheetrock on top of plywood as a subfloor on which to build a floating room.  i figured it would help in adding mass.

boborther

Re: adding more sheetrock?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2003, 03:28:31 PM »
: i have a layer of 1/8 mlv and a layer of 5/8 sheetrock on an existing walls of a room.  i will next proceed to add the rsc1 with a 5/8 layer of sheetrock attached to the resiliant channel.  my question is what is is worth to add a second layer of 5/8 sheetrock to the existing wall in terms of stc?
: also is it ok to use sheetrock on top of plywood as a subfloor on which to build a floating room.  i figured it would help in adding mass.

Steve,
The 5/8" fire code drywall is generally an 8 stc and if you add the float on RC, that would boost the wall's STC by approximately 26 points (there is a bit  of a diminishing return). All STC points are additive.
For mass in the floor, I would recommend Hardy board, wonder board, or tile backer board. These would add mass on your floor and would hold up better than ordinary drywall. Thanks for the post.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

bjnash

Re: adding more sheetrock?
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2003, 01:23:52 AM »
: : i have a layer of 1/8 mlv and a layer of 5/8 sheetrock on an existing walls of a room.  i will next proceed to add the rsc1 with a 5/8 layer of sheetrock attached to the resiliant channel.  my question is what is is worth to add a second layer of 5/8 sheetrock to the existing wall in terms of stc?
: : also is it ok to use sheetrock on top of plywood as a subfloor on which to build a floating room.  i figured it would help in adding mass.
:
: Steve,
:  The 5/8" fire code drywall is generally an 8 stc and if you add the float on RC, that would boost the wall's STC by approximately 26 points (there is a bit  of a diminishing return). All STC points are additive.
:  For mass in the floor, I would recommend Hardy board, wonder board, or tile backer board. These would add mass on your floor and would hold up better than ordinary drywall. Thanks for the post.

: Bob Orther
: Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
: Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
: URL: www.soundproofing.org
: e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
: For orders only (888) 942-7723
:  

Don't forget to caulk those seams in the floor with acoustical caulk!"

anything