Author Topic: A/C Ducting  (Read 3081 times)

Chris

A/C Ducting
« on: March 04, 2003, 07:19:44 PM »
Hello,
I am trying to find a way to soundproof (or at least reduce the transmission of noise) through our A/C ducting.  The house is a flat-roof so the ducting runs along one single run (a large duct 12"X 24") with very short runs to each room (12").  The duct acts to transmit a lot of sound between rooms.  
I would like to reduce this transmission without significantly affecting the cooling/heating efficiency.
Is there anything to place inside the ducting to reduce transmission?  Being a flat-roof house, I have no access to the exterior of the duct work withiut removing the ceiling.

boborther

Re: A/C Ducting
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2003, 01:47:29 AM »
: Hello,
: I am trying to find a way to soundproof (or at least reduce the transmission of noise) through our A/C ducting.  The house is a flat-roof so the ducting runs along one single run (a large duct 12"X 24") with very short runs to each room (12").  The duct acts to transmit a lot of sound between rooms.  
: I would like to reduce this transmission without significantly affecting the cooling/heating efficiency.
: Is there anything to place inside the ducting to reduce transmission?  Being a flat-roof house, I have no access to the exterior of the duct work withiut removing the ceiling.

Chris,
If you are able to get inside of the ducting, you could glue in a material called " closed cell" foam mat. You would adhere this to the inside of the vent using ordinary contact cement. To keep the flow coming through at approximately the same rate, I would go with a thickness like 1/2" or maybe even 3/8". This foam will both block and absorb much of the air rushing sounds coming from the duct work. Chris, feel free to give us a call if you need more information, or if you want to order the foam mat. Thanks for the post.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

anything