Author Topic: Soundproofing a basement  (Read 4759 times)

Adam Detrick

Soundproofing a basement
« on: December 15, 2000, 01:29:07 AM »
I have a basement with a concrete floor and concrete walls. I play drums and am looking to reduce the sound transmission through the ceiling. I don't need full soundproofing, but would like the best bang for my buck. Is there a specific material I can mount on or suspend from my ceiling that would help me?
Also, one side of the basement is partially open to the underside of the house. I can't put up a wall there because I'll block in my water heater and furnace. Is there a curtain like material i can hang that will at least reduce the transmission to the underside of the house. Again, I don't need complete soundproofing just a simple, cost effective reduction in transmission.

bjnash

Re: Soundproofing a basement
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2000, 05:30:09 AM »
: I have a basement with a concrete floor and concrete walls. I play drums and am looking to reduce the sound transmission through the ceiling. I don't need full soundproofing, but would like the best bang for my buck. Is there a specific material I can mount on or suspend from my ceiling that would help me?
: Also, one side of the basement is partially open to the underside of the house. I can't put up a wall there because I'll block in my water heater and furnace. Is there a curtain like material i can hang that will at least reduce the transmission to the underside of the house. Again, I don't need complete soundproofing just a simple, cost effective reduction in transmission.
Some folks think controlling sound is simple and easy (and inexpensive).  It is none of those.  The most carefully planned and expensive sound control walls, ceilings and even "rooms within rooms" sometimes don't provide "much bang for the buck"!
:Sound control means careful attention to detail, a good understanding of the nature of noise and a adequate budget to obtain the proper materials.
:Some sounds are mure difficult to control than others, probably drums are the worst.  Pianos next. See the links below.

anything