Author Topic: Office next to gym  (Read 3616 times)

Jaleeb Caru

Office next to gym
« on: June 29, 2003, 02:14:36 PM »
One of the rooms in our office is directly adjacent to a gym.  Is there an inexpensive, non-destructive solution to block the noise coming from their stereo?  I don't know if this is a good situation to use some sort of sound absorption blanket (if one infact exists).  I just don't have the budget to take apart and rebuild the wall.

Thank you for your help.

Boborther

Re: Office next to gym
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2003, 04:21:06 PM »
Jaleeb,

There is a very simple and effective solution to your problem Jaleeb. There is a material called Mass Loaded Vinyl, or (MLV) for short. This is a 1/8" loaded vinyl material that would staple or glue (contact cement) directly to your existing drywall. You would then caulk the seams and around the perimeter with an acoustical caulk, and then finally we would recommend that you sandwich the vinyl in with a layer of 5/8" fire code drywall.
Now Jaleeb, if the drywall is not happening for you, you can always paint the (MLV) with a vinyl or latex paint. I have even had customers use a latex texture paint and they have gotten excellent results. The reason that we recommend the extra layer of drywall is that it adds 8 STC points (Sound Transmission Class) to your wall and helps in your soundproofing effort.
 Jaleeb, thanks for your posting, and please give me a call if you have any further questions about this or any other products.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

FRS-SD

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2003, 10:58:44 PM »
Have you noted where the speakers are placed with respect to your wall ? What frequencies are you hearing the most ? High/Low?

If they are directly next to your wall, it would be fair to ask them to move them to a less distractive location say on the adjacant wall.

Also, if the speakers sit on a solid floor that can be used as a flanking path onto your area, this can be remedied by sitting the speakers on a thick pad.

Boborther

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2003, 10:47:36 PM »
FRS-SD,

You are correct about the speakers, being on pads and away from the wall in question, but I would suggest that you use vibration isolation pads as opposed to plain rubber pads. I would even recommend suspending the speakers in some sort of sling assembly or resilient fixture, so that sound (particularly Bass sound) would not be transmitted directly into walls or ceilings.
Thanks for your post FRS-SD

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

anything