Author Topic: need to soundproof a bedroom  (Read 4150 times)

Jason Meyers

  • Guest
need to soundproof a bedroom
« on: August 12, 2003, 07:16:40 AM »
I live in a house with my room mate. it is an older two bedroom house and both bedrooms share a wall. my room mate snoors very bad and loud all night and it is driving me nuts. what are some options for soundproofing. and should we sound proof his room or my room. I was looking at that MLV stuff, assuming he snors pretty loud how thick would you recomend. I am on a tight budget. thanks.


  • Guest
Re: need to soundproof a bedroom
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2003, 08:27:49 PM »

The MLV would definitely be the ticket for quelling the snoring noise from the sleepy roomie. The (MLV) would staple to your existing drywall, you would caulk the seams and around the perimeter, then finally I would layer that over with a layer of 5/8" fire code drywall.     Now, if the drywall is not an option, then you can always paint the  MLV with a vinyl or latex paint. The extra layer of drywall is not just for the look, it adds up to 9 STC points to your wall system.
Jason, I think if you simply soundproof the common wall between you and the roomie, you should have the snoring thing under control. Thanks for the interesting post, I'm sure a lot of folks will benefit from this information.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
Orders only (888) 942-7723
For Peace of mind!